Safety first when using amber teething necklaces
Posted on March 24 2015
There has been a few rumblings around the social media water cooler lately about the safety of amber teething necklaces. A story of a young girl getting her arm caught through her necklace has raised concerns about children sleeping with the necklaces on. And these concerns are warranted. We cannot take our childrens safety for granted. Your child may sleep every day and night wearing their necklace with no troubles and have probably reaped the benefits of wearing their amber for such long periods of time, but it only takes one incident for everyone to get a scare.
There are some really important things to remember when using a product such as amber teething necklaces around young children.
Here are 5 -tips to help ensure safe amber jewellery wearing.
- Supervise your child at all times when wearing an amber teething necklace or bracelet.
- Amberocks recommends removing your child’s necklace before going to sleep. If you want the benefits of the amber while sleeping, maybe consider using a bracelet or wrapping the necklace twice around the ankle and safely cover with clothing.
- Ensure the necklace is not too long. Amber teething necklaces are designed to be short. The necklace should not be able to reach the mouth of the child and will stop the risk of arms fitting between the necklace and the skin. Rather than choosing a larger necklace so it may fit for longer, choose one that fits your child now and update to a larger one as needed.
- Do not let your child place the amber in their mouth or play with the necklace. This will prevent any potential choking hazard should the necklace break.
- With correct care your amber should last for many years, but due to its brittle nature we recommend you check the beads for cracks and damage.
Most importantly make sure you buy your amber from a reputable seller. Children’s jewellery should be individually knotted ensuring that if a breakage does occur, only one bead will come free. The screw clasp and thread is designed to give way when force is applied and is an important safety feature of our amber teething jewellery.
We all have to take responsibility for our children’s safety. The benefits of amber as a natural form of teething relief in our children is amazing and it would be a shame for anyone to miss out on its wonderful healing abilities. But we have to be mindful of the risks, although few and rare, and use this gift from the earth with consideration.